These fleeting moments

I haven't made up my mind about the different baby-sleep philosophies. So far I've mostly tread the path of least resistance, both for Zeke and for me. After his first month, during which he could sleep anywhere and everywhere, he has mostly napped in the baby carrier while I ran errands and did chores during the day. At night now, he sleeps in the bassinet for the first half of the night and then in bed with us for the second after his middle-of-the-night feeds during which I inevitably fall asleep. I've started to try let him take naps in the bassinet too - starting with his last nap of the day, around 6.

I'm slowly inching towards a schedule, knowing this will help structure life for everyone (but really just inching). And I'm going to try more naps in the bassinet soon.

But today, while I was walking around EV with him sound asleep in the carrier, I thought about how both long and short these three months have felt - how hard it is when he is in a fit of crying frenzy, or when Ryan and I are both exhausted but unable to rest...  yet how quickly Zeke has grown and developed, and how watching videos of his little newborn cry makes that first week seem like a faraway dream.

Soon he will sleep on his own (soon enough!) and even if I wanted to listen to the sounds he makes in his sleep, they won't be the same as they are now. So I'm soaking in these moments of his little belly rising and falling against mine, his face so close to mine I can hear each of his small baby sleep sighs, and take in - oh so precious - the way he giggles in his sleep, smiling a gummy smile.


Morning daze, stretching it out after being in a swaddle for the whole night

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tracking Baby T - Weeks 2 - 17

Heartbreak

Dear Zane